Independent Living Service
Our Independent Living accommodation and service is designed with the needs of older people in mind. Our Independent Living accommodation includes unfurnished homes which provide comfort and security and at the same time give residents full independence. Our residents are supported by a team of non-resident officers who provide housing-related support and assist with emergencies when on site. Each flat is supported by a 24 hour emergency pull cords linked to a telecare community alarm.
Each resident is charged an Independent Living rent. These are social rents, set in accordance with government requirements and significantly below market rents. All residents pay an Independent Living charge to cover the service and there is usually a communal heating charge at most schemes. Tenants are offered a one-year starter tenancy followed by an assured (life time) tenancy.
As part of our Independent Living accommodation, we include a service which provides housing-related support for older people. Our Independent Living Team is responsible for delivering this to you. Each Independent Living Officer (ILO) is responsible for delivering these services across a number of designated schemes. Your ILO is your main point of contact regarding your scheme, tenancy and support.
Your Independent Living Officers will deliver a mobile support service, visiting each scheme for varying lengths of time depending on the needs of the residents or the tasks to be completed.
The service offers residents up to two wellbeing checks per week, this may be a telephone/intercom call or visit.
The Independent Living Officers will offer help, advice and assistance to help you to live an Independent life within your home and community. Officers will enable you to access other support services e.g. budgeting support, befriending, occupational therapy or care services.
Our Independent Living Officers will be responsible for delivering the best possible service to you and your scheme.
In a nutshell, our Independent Living Service provides:
- A customer service team providing housing management support
- A small team of Independent Living Officers to act as key contacts
- Assistance in sustaining all aspects of your tenancy
- Individual 24 hour emergency pull cord in each property
- Respond to and carry out checks to the telecare community alarm system
- Risk-based tenancy and wellbeing reviews to help identify areas that you need help and support in
- Twice-weekly welfare checks to ensure your safety and wellbeing
- Assistance in getting you support from other organisations and agencies where required
- Looking after the general running of your scheme, including safety, security and reporting communal repairs
The cost of this support service is divided between all Independent Living residents and the current charge is £6.29 per week /£27.25 per month.
Whilst we endeavor to keep the support costs as low as possible, we recognise that some residents may find it difficult to pay the support charge. This support charge is not housing benefit eligible.
Our Independent Living team and Welfare Benefits Adviser will work with residents who are experiencing financial difficulty to explore all possible avenues of alternative funding.