Independent Living Charge
Your Independent Living Charge helps to keep you safe, live independently and gives you security. Your named Independent Living Officer provides you with one-to-one tailored housing related support and is trained and experienced in the needs of older people.
The housing related support grant ceased on 31st March 2018. From this date all residents have been responsible for paying the cost of support charge independently. We have reviewed the costs of our current service and have introduced a fair charge. The cost of the support service is divided between all sheltered housing residents.
The Support charge from 1st April 2018 is £6.29 per week /£27.25 per month.
Whilst we endeavor to keep the support costs as low as possible, we recognise that some residents may find it difficult to pay the support charge. This support charge is not housing benefit eligible.
Our Independent Living team and Welfare Benefits Adviser will work with residents who are experiencing financial difficulty to explore all possible avenues of alternative funding.
Mount Green have set up a means tested welfare fund for tenants who joined us before 31st March 2018, and are experiencing genuine hardship.
What the charge covers
How your Independent Living Charge keeps you safe:
- Fully funded community alarm equipment and call centre response service, providing 24/7 emergency cover
- Provides an emergency call pendant where required
- Twice weekly welfare checks by the Independent Living Officer, through intercom, telephone calls, text, email or home visits, based on your support needs
- Six monthly testing of the emergency alarm equipment, including pendants, and reporting of any faults associated with this
- Regular checks of important information such as next of kin details, telephone numbers, key safe codes and medical information, so that all agencies are fully informed
- Responding to emergencies during working hours, including emergency access to your flat to carry out welfare checks using a suited key
- Floating Independent Living Officer who covers your scheme during annual leave and staff absences
How your Independent Living Charge allows you to live independently:
- Completion of an annual housing related support plan to identify any areas where you need help and support
- Housing-related risk assessment, where risks can be identified and measures taken to reduce them
- We will work in partnership with external agencies that provide services to you to help you get the best from them
- We will liaise with your named representative or next of kin to ensure a joined up approach in support of your needs
- We will act as an advocate on your behalf where necessary to help you to be heard
- Make referrals to external support services to help get you support from other organisations and agencies
- Respect your privacy, confidentiality and independence
How your Independent Living Charge gives you security:
- Intensive housing-related support to help you maintain all aspects of your tenancy
- Help with applying for adaptations to your home
- Welfare benefits advice and access to welfare fund where eligible
- Look after the general running of your scheme, including safety, security and reporting communal repairs