Housing Options

Mount Green provide a range of affordable, quality housing for different needs. We have five categories of housing:

  1. General needs
  2. Independent Living
  3. Key worker
  4. Shared ownsership
  5. Supported living

Read about each property type below and how to apply. 

General Needs

We work closely with local authorities across Surrey and Sussex to provide affordable “general needs” accommodation to a variety of different tenants. This includes to families, couples and singles. These are usually self-contained properties for which we receive nominations from the local authority, and therefore in order to apply for this type of accommodation you would need to go directly to your local authority (link to useful links page). If you meet the criteria for general needs accommodation, you will be added to your local authority waiting list before being able to bid for suitable properties. Your eligibility and priority is based on your circumstances and will be determined via an interview and assessment with your local authority.

These properties range from studio apartments to three bedroom houses and cover many different boroughs across Surrey and Sussex including Crawley, Elmbridge, Epsom & Ewell, Guildford, Horsham, Kingston, Mole Valley, Reigate & Banstead, Richmond, Runnymede, Spelthorne, Surrey Heath, Tandridge, Waverley and Woking.

Independent Living

Our Independent Living accommodation and service is designed with the needs of older people in mind. Our Independent Living accommodation includes unfurnished homes which provide comfort and security and at the same time give residents full independence. Our residents are supported by a team of non-resident officers who provide housing-related support and assist with emergencies when on site. Each flat is supported by a 24-hour emergency pull cords linked to a telecare community alarm.

Each resident is charged an Independent Living rent. These are social rents, set in accordance with government requirements and significantly below market rents. All residents pay an Independent Living charge to cover the service and there is usually a communal heating charge at most schemes. Tenants are offered a one-year starter tenancy followed by an assured (life time) tenancy.

Key Worker

As a landlord we provide accommodation at a subsidised price for key workers. A key worker is a public sector or private sector employee who is considered to provide an essential service. The term has been used in the United Kingdom in the context of workers who may find it difficult to buy property in the area where they work. Key worker jobs include (but are not limited to) healthcare professionals, firefighters, police officers and teachers.

You can apply for one of our key worker properties by completing an application form. If there aren’t any properties available, we will invite you to join our waiting list. Many of our key worker properties are studio apartments based in Banstead and Leatherhead. To be eligible for these properties we require proof of employment.

Shared Ownership & Help to Buy

At Mount Green, we are very proud to offer shared ownership properties through the Help to Buy: Shared Ownership scheme. Shared ownership gives those who cannot afford to buy a property on the open market an opportunity to step onto the home ownership ladder by owning a legal share of their home.

Shared ownership is simply part buying, part renting your home. The initial share (25%-75%) is purchased by means of a mortgage from a building society in the normal way. A subsidised rent is then payable to Mount Green for the remaining share. There may also be service charges to pay on top of the rent.

After one year’s ownership, you can, if you wish, purchase further shares in your home until you own the property outright. So we can help you into full home ownership in manageable stages. Alternatively, you can remain a shared owner indefinitely.

Supported Living

Mount Green own a small number of housing schemes in which support services are provided by a preferred provider of Surrey County Council. These schemes cater for adults with learning disabilities and/or other disability ranging from mild need to high and complex needs and who are willing to participate in a programme of support and personal development. All the properties are fully accessible and many have specialist equipment installed such as hoists and Gainsborough baths. They all include fully-equipped kitchens, communal lounges, communal bathrooms and large garden areas.

In order to be considered for supported living accommodation, you will need to be assessed by Surrey County Council as having eligible social care needs and priority will be given to applicants with an established local connection, or with an established Surrey connection.

If you are successful in applying for this type of accommodation, you will be agreeing to take the support from the appointed support provider delivering the service at the property.