If you have one ‘spare’ bedroom and you claim housing benefit, it will be reduced by 14% of the rent and any eligible service charges. If you have two or more spare bedrooms, you will lose 25%.
According to the criteria, you will be allocated one bedroom for:
- Each adult couple
- Any other person aged 16 or over
- Two children of the same sex under the age of 16.
- Two children under the age of 10 regardless of their sex.
- Any other child
- A carer (who does not normally live with you) if you or your partner need overnight care.
It does not matter how the “spare‟ bedroom is used, or how large it is, the new rules will apply even if:
- You and your partner need to sleep apart because of a medical condition.
- The main residence of your children is another address but you have a spare room for when they stay with you.