Safeguarding: It Affects Us All

If you’re worried a child is being abused

Many people do not act because they’re worried about being wrong.

You don’t have to be absolutely certain. If you’re concerned a child is being abused or their safety is at risk, speak to Mount Green, the NSPCC or the Police.

Reporting your concerns to us could provide the missing piece of information that is needed to keep a child safe. If you think it, report it.

What to do if you have a concern about a child

If you suspect a crime is being or has been committed, or a child is in immediate danger, call 999 immediately and ask for the police.

Even if you are not sure, but are worried that a child may be at risk of harm or abuse, you should speak to us. Either talk to your Neighbourhood Officer or Independent living Officer or call our customer services team on 01372 379555.

Alternatively call Surrey County Council Children’s Single Point of Access on 0300 470 9100

West Sussex County Council 01403 229900

Kingston Borough Council 020 8547 5008

or the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000

What will Mount Green do if you report a safeguarding concern to us

We will take clear and accurate records about your concerns.

For concerns about a child, we will work with our local authority to take the most appropriate action. We have a duty to share your concerns with the local authority but we can keep your identity anonymous. Where it is appropriate to do so, we will discuss the concerns with the child’s parent or carer.

For concerns about an adult we will tell only the people who need to know. The person who raised concerns can remain anonymous We will talk to the adult at risk to listen to their wishes and find out what they want the outcome to be. We will seek their consent to speak to the local authority about the concerns. We will only report the concern to the local authority without their consent if we feel it is the right thing to do.

Share this post