As your landlord we are responsible for carry out regular fire safety checks in the communal areas of buildings.
You should familiarise yourself with the exit routes for your property, and whether the policy is ‘Delayed evacuation’ or Evacuate’. If you are a new resident, your Neighbourhood Officer or Independent Living Support Officer will inform you of this during your sign up process.
Fire Safety Tips for the Home
There are things that you can do to help keep your home and building safe. Please see below some simple steps to reduce the risk of fire in your home:
- Check a smoke alarm is fitted to every level of your home and remember to test all your alarms monthly – if you do not have a smoke alarm then please contact us immediately
- Keep exits clear – never store anything in the communal area including balconies. Always keep door and window keys in easy reach.
- Take extra care in the kitchen, never leave pans unattended when cooking – If the pan does catch fire:
- DON’T tackle the fire yourself or try to move the pan
- NEVER throw water onto it
- If you can do so safely, turn off the heat
- Leave the room and close the door. Shout to warn others to get out, stay out and call 999
- Don’t leave candles unattended when lit and keep them well away from curtains, furniture and candles
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully – NEVER smoke in bed
- Close all doors at night to help prevent the spread of fire
- Don’t overload electrical sockets – Switch off and unplug your TV and other electrical goods – leaving them on standby could cause a fire
- If your property has a balcony – don’t smoke on your balcony and don’t light a barbecue (or fire pit) on your balcony, and don’t light fireworks on your balcony
- Do not light bonfires in your garden
- If you have a barbecue, fire pit (or other form of open fire) ensure it is located away from flammable materials, including wooden fences, trees and shrubs. Always ensure it is damped down with water after use and not left unattended when in use.
More Fire Safety Tips
If you have a fire, do you know your plan?
Please always check your emergency plans displayed in your communal areas. If there is no fire emergency plan displayed, please contact Mount Green.
Fire extinguishers are not required in the common areas of blocks of flats.
There are a number of reasons for this are –
- Fire extinguishers should only be used by trained persons
- Using the wrong type of extinguisher on a fire can increase the spread of flame
- We do not encourage staff or residents to advance towards a fire, or to remain when a fire is active.
- If a fire occurs inside your flat; you should safely evacuate the building via the nearest exit. Do not attempt to tackle the fire.
Fire alarms are tested and serviced regularly by trained, competent specialists. If yours is not working, please contact us and we will have engineers attend as soon as possible.
See link to our Fire Door Information Sheet which highlights their importance in keeping residents safe when living in a block. Know how to check yours.
Your safety and the safety of others in your block is very important to us. Mount Green are reminding all residents to be vigilant of fire safety within their homes and communal areas. Below are some actions that you can take that will enhance your safety and the safety of your neighbours:
- Read your Fire Emergency Plan and ensure everyone is familiar with what action to take in the event of a fire – A copy has been provided to all residents and an action notice is visible in your communal areas.
- Read the Fire Door Information Sheet which highlights their importance in keeping residents safe when living in a block.
- Do not smoke in communal areas. This is against the law and represents a serious fire risk.
- Maintain clear exit routes by removing all personal items. Escape routes must be clear at all times. Mount Green has a zero tolerance policy on storage in communal areas, items found may be removed.
- If you have a balcony, barbeques must NOT be used. Please ensure it is kept clear of combustible items, hanging items and is clutter free. See link to ‘Balcony and Fire Safety leaflet’ for more information.
- Inform your Neighbourhood/Independent Living Support Officer of any concerns.
Follow this extra advice if you live in a purpose-built block of flats or maisonettes, of any height, with shared communal corridors, external walkways, staircases or entrances.
If there is a fire or smoke inside your flat or maisonette:
- Get everyone out, close the door and walk as calmly as possible out of the building.
- Do not use the lift.
- Call 999, give your address including the number of your flat and state which floor the fire is on.
If there is a fire or smoke inside your flat or maisonette but your escape route is NOT clear:
- It may be safer to stay in your flat or maisonette until the fire brigade arrives. Close the door and use soft materials to block any gaps to stop the smoke. Go to a window, call for help, call 999, give your address including the number of your flat and state which floor the fire is on.
If there is a fire in another part of the building but not inside your flat or maisonette:
- Purpose-built blocks of flats and maisonettes are built to give you some protection from fire. Walls, floors and doors will hold back flames and smoke for a minimum of 30 to 60 minutes.
- You are usually safer staying in your own flat unless heat or smoke is affecting you. If you are in your flat, stay put and call 999. Tell the fire brigade where you are and the best way to reach you.
- If you are within the common parts of the building, leave and call 999.
London Fire Brigades advice for people living in purpose-built flats and maisonettes.