Asbestos is a material which was used in buildings from the 1950s to the mid-1980s. It was used for insulation and fireproofing. It can be present today in any building built or refurbished before the year 2000.

Asbestos will not pose a risk unless it has been damaged or disturbed. Once disturbed and its dust gets into the air there is a possible risk to health. Do not tamper with or touch any asbestos material.

Asbestos fibres were often mixed into cement, plaster and other materials.

Common places where it could be found:

  • Asbestos cement products (gutters, rainwater pipes, water tanks, roofing sheets)
  • Textured coatings (ceiling finishes)
  • Floor tiles and textiles
  • Sprayed coatings on ceilings, walls and beams
  • Asbestos insulation boards
  • Pipe lagging
  • Loose asbestos in ceiling or floor cavity

DIY Works

You should be cautious when carrying out any DIY works. Some textured ceiling coatings contain asbestos. The use of power tools could increase the amount of fibres released into your homes. You should inform us before starting any work so that we can provide asbestos information.

Mount Green have a duty to manage asbestos in the communal areas of our buildings. We also carry out surveys in dwellings when a property becomes empty or before our contractors do some types of works.

If you think you have found asbestos in your home:

  • Do not attempt to clean it up or repair it yourself
  • Do not brush or vacuum as will spread the fibres into the air
  • Contact Mount Green for advice
Need help? Contact us

Please also visit the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website for further guidance.