Universal Credit - What's it all About?

Residents /  / Posted on 2018-12-13 00:00:00 by kimderry

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be eligible if you're on a low income or out of work. It is paid monthly.

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. You do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances. 

Any benefits you receive which are not included in the above list will continue to be paid as usual, such as Child Benefit, Carers Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Council Tax Support. 

My Housing Benefit currently gets paid straight to my landlord - will this change?

In summary, yes it will. You will receive a payment once a month into an account of your choice. You'll then pay your rent to your landlord yourself. If you have any questions about Universal Credit or are worried about this or about falling into arrears with your rent, you can speak to our Welfare Benefits Team by calling 01372 379 555 or emailing rents@mountgreen.org.uk.